Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Nelson Mandela and the World Cup


The Beauty and Power of South Africa

In 2000 I had the honor of working with the Bafana Bafana soccer team. I was invited by the South African National Team Head Coach Carlos Queiroz. They were preparing for the African Nation’s Cup in Mali.  There were three profound memories from my time there that impacted my life. The first was the incredible natural beauty and power of South Africa. The lightning storms were spectacular -- the cracking sounds of the lightning makes you realize how we are not in charge. Going to the Lost City and taking a Safari was spectacular. Seeing the big five: elephant, lion, rhino, leopard, and buffalo forced you to respect wildlife.  The roar of the Lion made you quickly on alert. The power of the rhino made you realize inside your jeep is where you belong. The massive size and strength of the elephant makes you understand why they have survived so many years. The speed of the leopard makes you realize they were untouchable and the buffalo's stare freezes you in your tracks. 

The Mystery and Magic of Muti

The second memory was when the South African National Team was preparing for their match versus World Cup and European Champion’s, France. I was in the locker room and one of the assistant coaches came to me said, “I know you have attended a number of coaching courses and have traveled the world. What is about to happen no book or course has ever prepared you for.”   I became concerned. I quickly walked backwards and put my back up against the wall. All of a sudden there was a peculiar knock on our door. The locker room became silent. Muti entered the room.  Who is Muti? Muti is a witch doctor wearing a tribal costume.  He began chanting and spreading white powder and what seemed to be small bone chips… spreading it around the locker room. All of a sudden - poof! - he disappeared. Now, he did not vanish into thin air.  He walked out of the locker.  One by one each South African player began singing their individual tribal battle song until at the end they were all singing the same battle song. It is impossible to share with you the spirit that was created in the locker room. It was a special environment. We drew with France 0 to 0. The South African players demonstrated imagination, creativity, elegance, power, speed and no fear in taking risks. I was coaching the A League Connecticut Wolves and took the opportunity to hunt for players. Instead of returning to the Connecticut Wolves with players, I brought back Muti with me! 

Handshake of Inspiration



Last and the most profound memory was when the Portugal National Team was invited to Nelson Mandela's compound.  Having had the opportunity to listen to Nelson Mandela share his journey to freedom while he was in prison for 29 years was amazing. We shook hands and to this day I can feel that handshake. Nelson Mandela was a former boxer. His hands were strong and thick.  Today when I encounter what I perceive as problems I reflect back to our handshake and realize that my problems are miniscule compared to his. I realize how trivial my issues are. His smile transmitted peace and serenity. He was so gracious and patient with us all.  He loves soccer. As a result of soccer I have had the good fortune to have worked with or personally witness world class coaches and players.  With all respect to those stars, none have impressed or impacted me more with simply an introduction to Nelson Mandela. The game of soccer represented diversity and we all know how he feels about that. We all hope we will witness Nelson Mandela at the age of 91 kick off the 2010 World Cup. We could not have a more deserving human being.  Ten years later I return to South Africa to participate in the World Cup with the Portugal National Team.  My hope is that once again I have the privilege and honor of shaking Nelson Mandela's hand.

Live The World Cup!

1 comment:

  1. I’m a South African living in the US and am vicariously enjoying the excitement and the buzz of the World Cup in our beautiful host country. Thank you for sharing these memories (which succeeded in making me even more homesick!) and giving people a peep at the vibrant personality of South Africa.

    Your words about Nelson Mandela prompted me to tell you about the 46664 Bangle which is the official wrist bracelet in support of the 46664 campaign of the Nelson Mandela Foundation. It bears his prisoner number 46664, which is now used as an international symbol for his humanitarian efforts. Every 46664 Bangle sold generates funds, creates employment in South Africa, and allows people to make a direct impact on the fight against HIV/AIDS.

    Please take a look at the project http://www.theBangle.com and we’d be so grateful for your support in spreading this information amongst the soccer community.

    Wearing the bangle makes a lasting and positive impact, long after the World Cup final whistle blows on July 11.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete